Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Lake Lanier Water Levels

With the Georgia drought continuing in the Lake Lanier area, many residents including myself are really starting to feel that sinking feeling as the lake water disappears from underneath our docks. This past Monday, I decided to do a little quick investigating into traditional water levels here at Lanier during this time of year. I went to the USACE website and pulled up the statistics for the water levels on the same September day going all of the way back to 1997. I was able to confirm that the average water level over those years for that September day was about 1065.48. The 2007 reading was 1060.95, the low for the included years was 1059.40 (2000) and the high was 1071.02 (2004). Obviously, the conditions that we are experiencing are extreme and certainly close to recent low water marks. But as lake home owners know, things can change during the off season if rainfall levels pick up during the Fall and Winter months. I must say that I am really looking forward to a few cool fronts and accompanying rains, so we can see a different lake with less exposed shoreline.

No comments: